Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Another Chance

Recently I had a screw-up. A fumble. A foible. A big one. Well, actually in the grand scheme of things, I seem to notice that I fail to do everything right from time to time, so maybe not that big. But I couldn't help but feel I had failed God.

My tendency when I sin is usually to feel ashamed, and I used to subconsciously begin a "penance" cycle. For two days or so, extra spiritual discipline, and make sure not to have fun. But God made sure I couldn't get away with that this time...

The day I started off feeling like I had blown it, the Holy Spirit spoke to me, Go get a Tim Horton's. I want to talk to you.

So I drove to Tim's, and picked up an extra large coffee. Pulling out of the parking lot, I spilled it in the car. (I don't have a cup holder) I had this sinking feeling like God was saying, "Look how bad you screwed up." But I still felt God had something to teach me here.

After cleaning out the passenger side floormat, I looked at the offending cup. Right now we're in the middle of the "Roll-up-the-rim-to-win" contest. I picked it up and peeled the rim back to reveal... I had won a coffee!

I stopped at the next Tim's, and they took my old one, and in 10 seconds or so I was holding the same hot, great coffee I was about to enjoy just a half hour before.

God spoke to me again, just 2 words:
Another chance.

I don't know why its so hard to grasp, but feeling forgiven can be difficult. If I sever my intimacy with Papa through sin, why is he willing to receive me in the same instant? I guess thats why its called "Amazing grace."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home